Could you be allergic to your own home?

Could you be allergic to your own home?21/11/2011

If you thought that your itchy eyes, constant wheezing and runny nose are all symptoms of a bad cold or flu, you may need to think again. The BBC recently reported that we could be allergic to our very own home.

Problems commonly found in the home such as mould, damp and allergens are known to aggravate the symptoms of asthma and allergy suffers. Such ‘triggers’ may also be much more prevalent in winter when humidity and moisture levels are higher, as these conditions act as the breeding ground for allergens in the home.

Accountable for the increase in asthma in 1 in 5 homes and other bronchial and skin problems such as eczema, one of the most common allergy triggers is the house dust mite and, worryingly, their droppings. House dust mites and their waste are also known as allergens, as they trigger an allergic reaction when they come into contact with our skin or if we inhale them.

Dust Allergies

The house dust mite mainly breeds in carpets and bedding. They feed on microscopic scales of skin that is shed everyday by humans and even pets. They thrive in areas with a high humidity level, as the moisture in the air is their only source of water. The higher the levels of humidity in your home, the quicker dust mites can breed, which can subsequently worsen the symptoms of asthma and other allergies. You must provide your home with adequate ventilation in order to lessen humidity levels, which will subsequently decrease the amount of allergens.

Mould Allergies

Mould spores are also known allergens and are caused by condensation, damp and mould. These microscopic spores which can trigger asthma, hay fever and other breathing problems when inhaled can be treated with an effective mould removal procedure. However, unless the initial problem is dealt with the mould will keep on reoccurring.

Check out EnviroVent’s new video that discusses the effects of poor ventilation and the advantages of PIV (Positive Input Ventilation), a concept designed to filter fresh air throughout your home.

With PIV, you can significantly reduce the ‘triggers’ of asthma and allergies through simple indoor air quality. What’s more, you’ll be reducing the dust mite population, which means less wheezing and no sneezing!

So, if you think it’s “just a cold”, but the symptoms appear to linger a little longer than they really should, you may then want to look into the many advantages of providing your home with Positive Input Ventilation.  

Arrange a home survey

Comments (0)

Add a comment