Allergens from house dust mites and mould spores - which are mainly found in homes with stale, humid and contaminated air have been attributed to being a trigger for asthma, dust allergies and hay fever. Poor indoor air quality can also cause headaches, fatigue and respiratory illnesses.
As the average person spends around 90% of their time indoors, to which 70% of this time is spent in their own home, indoor air quality is crucial to the health of the occupants. If you are (or you live with) an asthma or hay fever sufferer, the last thing you need is a home swimming with allergens and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
VOCs are airborne contaminants that have been released inside the home. Found within consumer products including household cleaning products and aerosols, VOCs also linger within the fabric of the building such as in adhesives, solvents and treatments. VOCs can cause tiredness and fatigue, in addition to respiratory problems and other allergic reactions.
House dust mites can also affect the health of the occupants of a home with poor indoor air quality; house dust mites cause allergic reactions in asthmatics and others who are allergic to their faeces. As soon as an asthma sufferer comes into contact with something that irritates their airways such as allergens, the muscles around the walls of the airways tighten, narrowing the airways and making it harder to breathe. Researchers have even suggested that dust mites are a possible trigger for up to 80% of asthma attacks! So, don’t fall ill this summer as a result of a home with poor indoor air quality – instead, ventilate your home and enjoy the glorious British summer, whatever the weather!
In order to reduce the levels of humidity in your home this summer, diminish any condensation and mould problems, and reduce the house dust mite population, you’ll need to provide your property with adequate ventilation. EnviroVent have a range of innovative products including Positive Input Ventilation (PIV) units and Multiple® Input Ventilation (MIV®) units to improve the indoor air quality in your home and help dust mite allergy sufferers breathe more easily.