If you have a mould problem in certain rooms of your home that returns no matter how often or thoroughly you clean it, you might be tempted to look at an anti-mould paint or chemical treatment in the hope of removing the problem for good.
Anti-Mould paints are sold in many DIY stores, and while the actual ingredients will differ between different products, most contain a mould fighting chemical called benzisothiazolone.
Benzisothiazolone is a fungicide and microbicide that is used in many different household products and it prevents the growth of mould. The Anti-Mould paint creates an environment where mould cannot grow, however over time, the chemical will lose its potency and if the underlying cause of the mould – damp – has not been properly dealt with, the mould colonies will begin to regrow.
An anti-mould paint can help in the short-term but will need to be periodically re-applied to ensure that the mould cannot regrow.
The chemicals used in Anti-Mould Paint are biocides that are formulated to kill moulds. In normal use they are safe for people to come into mild contact with, but the fumes given off during while the paint dries can be unpleasant and linger for a few days. They should not be ingested in any quantity, and pets and young children should be kept out of the room until the paint is fully dry to avoid accidental contact.
If you have a very mild problem with mould, then the paint will be effective for longer, but in properties with a severe underlying damp problem, the paint will not work for as long and you may need to repeat the treatment every few months – which can be inconvenient if the brand you choose needs to be removed before a new treatment is applied.
Once the fungicide chemicals in the paint have become less potent, you may start to see small patches of mould growing in areas where they can colonise quickly. These will develop more slowly than they did in the absence of the paint, but over time, they will spread out.
In order to permanently prevent mould growth, you need to address the underlying damp problems that allow mould to grow in the first place.
In most cases, mould is a side effect of damp areas having developed on walls and ceilings. These are often caused by condensation forming on cooler surfaces, and as such, to prevent mould, you need to deal with the condensation that creates a mould friendly environment.
The most effective way of preventing condensation is to improve the airflow in your home so that humid and moist air is removed from the building through extractor fans or a multi-room ventilation system.
If you are concerned with mould growth in your home and want to get rid of it permanently, you can speak to one of our local ventilation specialists. They can perform a free survey of your home that will identify any potential causes of damp and then provide you with advice about the best way to remove the issue for good.
Improved ventilation gets rid of the environment that allows mould to thrive and as such, will help reduce the presence of some of the allergens released as mould spores that can cause difficulties for people with asthma and other respiratory conditions.
One of our local experts will contact you to learn more about your problems, offer free expert advice and make recommendations for a permanent solution.
During the free survey we will:
© EnviroVent Ltd 2021. All right reserved. Part of S&P Group.