Household mould and mildew thrives in damp environments leading to patches developing on walls and ceilings. The areas of mould are not only unsightly, but they can also be damaging to health. Spores from most household moulds are allergens that can aggravate asthma, and some moulds such as Stachybotrys chartarum – which is also known as Toxic Black Mould – release mycotoxins that are extremely harmful to health.
The harmful mycotoxins released by Stachybotrys chartarum are dangerous if inhaled, and if this mould is present in your home, then you should have it treated professionally rather than risking your health.
The first thing to do when removing mould is to ensure that the room you are working in is well ventilated to the outside. Close the door and open any windows. This will prevent mould spores escaping into the rest of your home.
When removing mould or mildew you should wear gloves and eye protection and a mask that covers your eyes and nose. This prevents you inhaling spores that might irritate your lungs.
Once you have finished cleaning, you should throw away any cloths or brushes that you have used along with your rubber gloves and also wash your hands and face thoroughly after you have finished cleaning.
There are specialist mould sprays available in most hardware shops which are formulated to treat mould and mildew, but it is easy to make your own by mixing four parts water with one part bleach.
A spray bottle is the best way to apply the mould removing mixture as it will cover the area well. Once you have applied the diluted bleach or mould spray, leave it for a moment to soak the area before gently scrubbing the area with a cloth until the visible mould is gone. The mould normally grows on the surface, so it is easy to remove, although you should bear in mind that it can linger in any cracks in the paint.
When you have finished cleaning an area, wipe it down with a soft cloth to remove the residue of bleach and dispose of the cleaning materials.
Unfortunately, simply cleaning mould from an area is not a permanent solution. Mould is a symptom and in order to remove the problem forever, you need to tackle the cause.
Mould grows in damp areas, so you need to address the damp in order to prevent mould from returning. In most cases, the damp is caused by condensation.
The only effective way of reducing condensation is with improved ventilation. Fitting modern extractor fans in bathrooms and kitchens that respond to humidity levels rather than only running when the lights are on or fitting a whole house ventilation system to ensure clean fresh air throughout your home is the only way to ensure that condensation will not lead to future outbreaks of mould.
If you have a problem with recuring mould in your home and want to get rid of it for good, speak to one of our local ventilation specialists. Book a free home survey today and they will be able to identify the cause of damp and mould in your property and recommend the best solution for your needs.
One of our local experts will contact you to learn more about your problems, offer free expert advice and make recommendations for a permanent solution.
During the free survey we will:
© EnviroVent Ltd 2021. All right reserved. Part of S&P Group.