Mould on your bathroom walls or ceilings is not only unsightly, but it can also be dangerous for your health. As such, it is essential to get rid of the mould patches as quickly as possible so that it doesn’t have a chance to spread. In the longer term, you should also think about what is causing the mould to grow and to take preventative steps. Otherwise, the mould will regrow.
Moulds are microscopic single-celled organisms that share characteristics with both bacteria and plants. They spread through tiny particles called spores and grow into large, interconnected colonies in damp locations.
There are thousands of different species of mould in the world, and their spores can be found everywhere in small quantities.
Some types of mould, including Stachybotrys chartarum (or toxic black mould), are well suited to domestic environments and can grow quickly.
Once mould becomes established it can become a health risk to your household. Many people have an allergic reaction if they inhale mould spores at higher concentrations, which can cause problems for people with weaker immune systems, such as the elderly or young children.
Mould requires much moisture to grow and thrive in damp and calm conditions. After you bathe or shower, the air in your bathroom will contain a lot of water vapour, and when this comes into contact with cold surfaces such as windows or walls, it will form condensation. Over time, condensation can cause persistent damp patches to develop as plaster becomes saturated. When mould spores settle on these damp patches, they can quickly start to grow.
You should only clean mould yourself if you are confident that it is not toxic and you do not have an allergic response to it. Toxic black mould should be removed professionally to avoid coming into contact with the mycotoxins it produces.
Fungicidal cleaners are available in most supermarkets and can be sprayed onto the mould to kill it off. Still, you can also make your own by diluting regular household bleach in a 1:6 ratio with water.
When cleaning mould, you should wear gloves, eye protection and a face mask. It is also a good idea to wear old clothes in case you get bleach. You will need a spray, a bucket of water and two clothes.
Start by lightly spraying the dilute bleach or fungicidal cleaner directly onto the mould patch. a minute or so for the mould to start breaking down, and then wipe it away with a soft cloth. Rinse the cloth after every use and change the water regularly to avoid spreading more mould onto the wall.
Once you have finished cleaning away the mould, you should wipe down all walls to remove any bleach residue and dry them out.
Do not reuse any of the clothes that you use when cleaning mould for any other household jobs, put them into a plastic bag and dispose of them carefully in the bin.
Unfortunately, no matter what chemicals you use to clean mould away, you need to take away the conditions that allow mould to thrive to
The only way to stop mould permanently is to remove the conditions that allow it to thrive. Reducing the amount of condensation in your home will enable damp patches to dry out, and they will no longer support mould.
Fitting a modern, energy-efficient extractor fan such as the EnviroVent Cyclone 7 in your bathroom will help to stop condensation. The Cyclone 7 fan features a moisture sensor that detects the amount of water vapour in the air and then adjusts the power levels appropriately. This means it removes moisture quickly and uses less energy over time.
If you find that mould is becoming a problem on walls and ceilings outside your bathroom, whole-house ventilation could be a better solution for you. Positive Input Ventilation systems work by constantly drawing fresh air into your home to displace the moisture-laden air indoors. They also create better airflow throughout your home,, reducing mould spores’ ability to settle undisturbed and start to grow.
Whether you have a persistent mould problem or have only recently started to see growth on your walls and ceilings, we can help you to stop it permanently. EnviroVent ventilation specialists in all areas of the country who can visit your home to carry out a free home survey. During the survey, we will identify the causes of condensation and provide you with advice and access to a range of products that can prevent mould permanently. Enter your postcode below to find a specialist near you.
One of our local experts will contact you to learn more about your problems, offer free expert advice and make recommendations for a permanent solution.
During the free survey we will
© EnviroVent Ltd 2023. All right reserved. Part of S&P Group.