Mould in a house is not only unsightly, but it can also be harmful to the health of residents. Toxic Black Mould, also known as Stachybotrys Chartarum, is common and generates poisonous spores that can induce severe allergic responses and affect people with underlying health issues such as asthma.
The presence of mould problems in any property should be addressed as soon as possible, but unless the root of the problem is addressed, the mould will just return, leaving spreading stains on walls and ceilings.
Mould thrives in wet environments and flourishes in the porous walls of our homes, where it forms vast colonies that are also home to dust mites.
Condensation is the most prevalent source of damp in UK houses, leading to patches of damp which create an ideal habitat for mould to thrive.
Mould can begin to develop once a surface has grown sufficiently wet. The spores that mould grows from can remain in the air for a long time before activating, which is one of the reasons why mould will return if not treated appropriately.
Mould can be removed quite quickly and simply, although while cleaning away the mould you should take precautions such as wearing a mask and goggles to prevent inhaling the spores. Cleaning the area with a fungicide or even white wine vinegar will stop the mould from growing, but as long as the underlying damp conditions continue, the mould will return quite quickly. To permanently get rid of mould, you'll need to make your home's atmosphere less inviting to the spores.
The only method to keep mould from forming in your home is to get rid of the moisture that it requires. This typically involves reducing condensation.
Condensation problems area caused by wet air colliding with cold surfaces. It can be reduced by increasing ventilation which enables air to travel more freely throughout the building, preventing the air from being saturated and stuck in one region where it has time to release its moisture.
Condensation may be reduced with the use of simple extractor fans. Typically, fans are installed in wet areas such as kitchens and bathrooms to evacuate the moisture created by cooking or bathing directly out of the structure. Modern EnviroVent extractor fans include technology that allows them to adapt to changes in humidity by increasing airflow and removing damp air faster.
The disadvantage of extractor fans is that they can only be used in a single room.
A complete house ventilation system such as a Positive Input Ventilation System (PIV) is an alternative that can prevent condensation build-up throughout the remainder of the house. These systems use a centralised pump to help air flow into and out of all of the building's rooms, preventing condensation from forming damp.
Whether you are concerned about the health risk of mould in your home, or the effect it can have on the building itself, it is important to remove mould as quickly as possible and take action to prevent it coming back.
One of our local experts will contact you to learn more about your problems, offer free expert advice and make recommendations for a permanent solution.
During the free survey we will
© EnviroVent Ltd 2024. All right reserved. Part of S&P Group.