Damp in your home can lead to problems with mould and mildew growing on walls and ceilings, and these need to be treated differently to remove them effectively
Mould is usually fuzzy or slimy in appearance. It appears as irregularly shaped spots that can have different colours – blue, green, yellow, brown, grey, black, or white. If it is left untreated, surfaces that are covered in mould will begin to rot.
Mildew is the name for the most common type of black mould on walls, characterised by spots that can then spread over larger areas if left untreated. To find out if you have mildew on your walls, apply some bleach onto the affected area with a cloth. If the dark colour fades after a few minutes, it is mildew.
Both are caused by dampness. Condensation in your home – the result of humid air from activities such as bathing, cleaning, cooking and even breathing release water vapour into the air which, leading to condensation and eventually mould. This can affect all homes – even new builds with apparently good insulation and ventilation.
Damp and mould are caused by excess moisture. Moisture in buildings can be caused by leaking pipes, rising damp in basements or ground floors, or rain seeping in because of damage to the roof or around window frames. In new homes damp will often occur while the water used during the building process is still drying out. Houses with poor insulation can encourage problems with mould and mildew to be worse - especially on ceilings. When warmer, more humid air meets the cold wall, condensation forms, contributing to mould problems.
Your kitchen and bathroom are usually the optimal environments for problems with mould and mildew to develop, as both are prone to being moist. In bathrooms, mould can grow on tiles, walls, wood and even blinds/curtains. Mould often grows from the floor upwards on bathroom walls but can also form on ceilings. It is important to remove it as quickly as possible as it can severely affect your breathing and trigger allergies.
Inhaling mould fragments or spores can inflame the airways, causing nasal congestion, wheezing, chest tightness, coughing and throat irritation. Prolonged exposure to high levels of indoor dampness can reduce lung function and cause chronic health problems such as asthma.
Occupants of damp or mouldy buildings are at increased risk of experiencing health problems with mould and mildew including respiratory infections, allergic rhinitis, and asthma. Some people are more sensitive to mould than others, and some groups are especially vulnerable.
More worryingly, mycotoxins can kill neurones in the brain, which directly affects our mental capacity and can alter our psychological makeup. Some of the neurological symptoms of the ingestion of mycotoxins include confusion, dizziness, a ‘foggy’ brain, hallucinations, seizures, and trembling.
Infection from damp and mould is extremely serious so it is imperative that if you notice any of the above symptoms and live in a home where mould is present, you seek medical attention.
1 in 5 UK homes have issues with condensation and over time, this can lead to problems with mould and mildew, but it is relatively simple to resolve those problems and to prevent further issues developing. Arrange a survey from your local specialist who can help you cure condensation for good.
One of our local experts will contact you to learn more about your problems, offer free expert advice and make recommendations for a permanent solution.
During the free survey we will
© EnviroVent Ltd 2023. All right reserved. Part of S&P Group.