Damp, stale or musty smells are often caused by mould spores or damp conditions and many homes that are suffering from damp problems are usually affected by mould or mildew.
Mould fungal colonies can produce gases, also known as ‘volites’, which may be causing the musty smells you want to get rid of.
With prolonged condensation dampness, mould spores can thrive and permeate into walls, carpets, furniture and other soft furnishings. In some cases, the actual mould growth and source of the musty smell may be hidden from view perhaps behind a wardrobe or in a cupboard.
The more you can get the air moving in your home, the better. Ventilation will help remove the musty smell from your house and make your home less attractive to mould and mildew. To get the last of the musty smell out of your house, use a natural odour absorber like activated charcoal or baking soda.
Sometimes our home can smell a little musty from time to time even with the best ventilation and installation, with that in mind here are our 5 top tips to banish that musty damp smell:
1) Empty your wardrobe and ensure each item has been throughly washed before being put back in. Also hoover and wipe down your wardrobe, removing dust.
2) Take your bed linen to a dry cleaners; pillows, mattress, mattress topper or invest in some mattress cleaning products.
3) Have any soft furnishings and carpets professionally cleaned or hire a machine and do it yourself.
4) Rinse cycle your washing machine and dishwasher - you may also want to check nothing is clogging either.
5) Deep clean your bathroom and leave the door and window open for as long as possible so as much natural air can be ventilated in.
Mould thrives in damp conditions where there is plenty of moisture to evaporate into the air and raise the humidity levels.
A whole house ventilation system will reduce and control the humidity levels within the home. The unit will diminish damp and condensation and prevent mould problems, leaving the air inside your home clean and fresh, free from musty smells.
We have local experts across the UK who can offer free advice and recommend the right products for your property.
Want to find out more about our products and service? Request a free brochure and we'll send one out in the post to you.
We have local ventilation specialists throughout the United Kingdom who are able to help you with your problems.
© EnviroVent Ltd 2019. All right reserved. Part of S&P Group.